1 child killed, 6 sickened by carbon monoxide leak at hotel

One child has been killed and more than a dozen other people injured in the USA state of MI after a carbon monoxide leak in the indoor pool of a hotel in the city of Niles.

Five people are in stable condition and one has been released, the hospital said. The patients included the six children, hotel staff, two Berrien County deputies and a Nile City police officer.

The Niles police department confirmed the death of Bryan Douglas Watts, 13, of Niles, in an email to CBS News. A seventh child who had just been in the pool area was found nearby, police said.

Niles Fire Capt. Don Wise says the leak was caused by a malfunctioning vent pipe from the pool heater. "I couldn't even see them breathing", said hotel guest and witness Francine Saunders.

Hotel staff members called 911 after they walked by a window and saw six children unresponsive on the pool deck.

The presence of a carbon monoxide detector in the hotel's pool area is unclear.

The first readings in the pool area were also taken after the doors had already been opened, Wise said. The Environmental Protection Agency advises that a person should not remain in a room for more than an hour if the carbon monoxide levels are 35 parts per million.

Syrian refugees pass the 5 million mark
The tally of Syrian refugees in the Middle East and North Africa had hovered just below 5 million since the middle of past year . The number of Syrians who have fled their country has topped 5 million after six years of war, the UN's refugee agency has said.

Niles authorities said it was too early to know the cause of the carbon monoxide leak, but Wise suspects it could have been from a natural gas heater.

Police said that, when they arrived, carbon monoxide levels at the hotel were 800 parts per million, according to CNN affiliate WBND-TV.

The entire hotel had to be evacuated.

Carbon monoxide levels taken in the hotel were 16 times the safe limit.

"Carbon monoxide is odorless, colorless, tasteless".

The hotel will remain closed for a few days while crews work to fix the pool heater.

Related news